Tuesday, May 22, 2007

8 Things About Me

I've been tagged and in the words of Yargineer, " bring it with your bad self..."

1. I've always wanted to be a chef. To compensate I probably own about 100 cookbooks and I've made something from most of them. Asian, Italian, Greek, Thai you name it I'm game for it. If I'm cooking it's rarely soul food. I can't make biscuits to save my life and have given up trying. (Anything I set my mind to do I don't do it half-assed, besides it makes for some very interesting meals.)

2. From the age of about 30 to 36 I didn't knit hardly anything. My time was devoted to machine quilting, reading, logic and crossword puzzles. Things I love but rarely do any more due to knitting.

3. I also have a cross stitch stash, a quilting stash and a sewing stash. At one time I made most of my clothes and sewed for others as well. I considered becoming a Home Ec teacher before I went to college.

4. I'm an Applications Analyst and program in Informix 4gl and Coldfusion. I made my career change when I was fired by the USPS and it changed my life completely. My BS is in biology from Wofford College and I never used my undergrad degree. I've gotten more out of my AS in Information Technology which I received in 1999 from Midlands Technical College where I was inducted into the two-year college honor society Phi Theta Kappa.

5. I am a nerd. Hard as I try to deny it, in the core of my innermost being it's what I am. I've worked hard and long to erase that image of myself and for the most part have succeeded on the outside. It's fed by an inquenchable thirst to learn and I often get sidetracked when I'm checking out specific things by something interesting that comes across my path.

6. I've never been married, don't have any kids and don't see either of the two happening in my future. Too stubborn for one and too old for the other. (Technically I'm not too old for the kids but from my side of the fence I'm way-ayyyy too old.)

7. I have four siblings. We are boy, girl, boy, girl, boy. We tried to talk mother into having a sixth to make it even. Our ages are 47, 46, 44, 43 and 36. (I'm number two.) Only the boys have kids and there are eight of them. Four boys and four girls.
I'm a momma's girl. Rotten to the core. In case you haven't figured it out from reading this blog, I live with my mom. Moved back in 1995 and never left again. She takes care of me more than I take care of her and when the days are really bad healthwise I can't think of any place I'd rather be. She's my bestest friend!!!

8. People who know me either like me or they don't. I'm a straight-forward, pull no punches type of person, so if you don't want the truth don't ask. Truthfully I'm mostly bark and a little bite, but I can't stand and don't tolerate dishonesty.

There you have it. The down and not so dirty on Fiberitis.

***Note to self: Never post when dead tired. Edited to correct spelling of "thngs".

4 comments:

Donna said...

You are the coolest nerd I know! I didn't realize we have that BS in Biology thing in common. That was Donald's major, too.

Acornbud said...

I am glad you no longer fight the inner nerd. It's really a good thing, dontcha know? I'm gradually thinning out my cookbooks, heh. Thanks for sharing.

Yarngineer said...

I love #5, and I just had to reply. My husband and I joke that we have nerd love. We are both nerds, and we are not ashamed to admit it. Why? Because it is the truth. And like you, we are happy to embrace it. We love to learn like you, and totally geek out over subjects like politics, math, science and finance.

I also love to cook.

I also noticed how well your mom and you get along. You all seemed very sweet and comforting (to me), and I think it is wonderful that you all have such a great, loving relationship.

Sue said...

Hey girl! I am in Mount Pleasant. I saw you on the Mason-Dixon blog.I am knitting today-it's HOT!