Sunday, February 04, 2007

Greenville Knit-In

Friday I packed a suitcase of yarn, needles and projects and headed to Greenville SC, with mom in tow, for the SC Knitting Guild's Knit-In. We arrived at the hotel around 7:00 pm, checked in and registered.

Byron, my youngest brother lives in Greenville and joined us for the evening. I've never been in downtown Greenville and it is wonderful. Lots of restaurants, shops and pubs catering to all ages. It was wonderful to see people over the age of 35 enjoying themselves and hanging out without appearing to be something of an oddity. Part of Greenville's eclectic appeal and openess is probably directly related to the number of European companies and employees living in the area.

Columbia's evening scene caters to the under 35 set. It's been a while since I've been out but if it's getting anything closer to what I'experienced this weekend it's a definite improvement. I can totally understand why little bro' rarely stays here overnight when he comes to visit.

On Saturday the real fun began. They hotel was quickly inundated with knitters. There were 3 vendors who set up shop and I purchased an Interlacement beaded scarf kit,


TNT Beaded Scarf Kit

a huge Laurel Burch bag (It will hold an entire sweater in progress along with several smaller projects unlike my favorite knitting bag.)


Deborah, one of the Guild members, gave up her spot for me in the Fair Isle class. I met Lou of the Piedmont Knitting Guild who helped me out of jam in the Fair Isle class when I couldn't strand the non-working yarn carried in my right hand. One of the guild members taught me the Magic Loop method which I'll demo during the sock class. Byron picked up mom to go shopping earlier and told her that he felt a little overwhelmed. He'd never seen that many knitters in his life!!!

The Yarngineer kindly drove 3 of us to The Needletree for their annual knit-in sale. I purchased yarn for a scarf, a bunch of 40" addi Turbos, scarfStyle and the recent VK.




That evening I got an impromptu spinning lesson that evening from Linda, also with the Piedmont group, and will remember from now on that where there are knitters there are usually spinners and vice versa and pack my wheel. She gave me some excellent tips on spinning on the Majacraft Little Gem. She spins on Majacraft Suzie and a Reeves Wheel, don't remember which one.

I made some new friends, learned some new things, had a great time and finally got a picture of the completed Log Cabin Socks.



Specs:

Pattern: Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays
Yarn: Cascade Pastaza
Needles: 8 US Inox circular
Size: Men's size 14
Started: December 6, 2006 Finished: December 24, 2006

Modifications: I added 4 stitches to allow enough width the foot. These were inserted on each side of the cable pattern.

3 comments:

Vera said...

I thought about going to the Knit In, but couldn't during Super Bowl weekend.

That tote is smashing! I'm loving it.

Yarngineer said...

It was so nice to meet you. I am glad that I could take you all to the yarn store. It did seem (from the look on his face) that your brother was overwhelmed. By the way, what teddy bear sweater patterns are you making? I plan on using leftover sock yarn for teddy bear socks someday. But my ambition exceeds my knitting speed. Wish I could be there for your sock class.

kathy b said...

I love cascade p. The little bit of fuzz on it makes it so wonderful. Sounds like you had a great knitting weekend.