Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sunshine

This evening I finished the 4th pair of Cookie A socks, Sunshine. Another easy pattern to memorize and knit. I don't know why I thought I might run out of yarn because I had plenty to spare.




Specs:
Pattern: Sunshine from Sock Innovation by Cookie A
Yarn: Trekking Undyed dyed with Pro Chem One Shot Dyes Cornflower
Needles: 1.5 / 2.5 6-inch dpn's from Knit Picks
Started: June 1, 2009 Finished: June 17, 2009
Mods: I knitted four repeats of the pattern on the legs. I like my socks longer in the calf than most of her patterns suggest. This pattern is quick to knit. I was held up by Vacation Bible School last week and didn't get much done. I was unable to capture the true color of this yarn. The closest I came was the first picture I posted earlier this month.

I made my regular check on the garden today and found several tomatoes just beginning. I was worried that they might not set since I had this problem once before. The lone cucumber is growing. Still lots of blooms but no other cucumbers. I picked the first banana pepper today with one lone pepper remaining and lots of blooms.

We walk around the campus at work and often check on the two gardens planted on the grounds. One has huge cucumbers which should have been picked, lots of smaller cucumbers and tomatoes. The other has tomatoes and baby watermelons. They both have other vegetables planted that have just begun to bear. We work on a fairly large property with lots of green space. I wish we could plant gardens around the property. I think the only issue would be the excess water usage given the budget constraints that we are currently operating under.

Planting a garden is a wonderful experience especially for children. I always let my nieces and nephews help pick the vegetables when they are visiting and they love it. It gives me the opportunity to explain how things grow and how we get our food. When Isaiah stayed the weekend last month we planted tomatoes and flowers. He is always amazed and full of questions so it provided a great opportunity for teaching. Last year he picked tomatoes and this year he'll have the chance to pick a variety of vegetables. If you get the chance try it. You might be amazed yourself.

1 comment:

Vera said...

I have those socks otn. Yours turned out so well.