Sunday, February 06, 2011

Knit-Inn 2011

This weekend I went to my most favorite event of the year, the SC Knitting Guild's 2011 Knit-Inn. The Knit-Inn occurs on the first weekend in February and entails classes, fun activities and of course lots of knitting. I look forward to catching up with friends from past Knit-Inns and making new ones. This year there were over 179 participants registered by Friday.


Lou's sock yarn Granny Square afghan


An original Bohous sweater at Show & Share


Kim and other guild members knitting in the lobby


Deborah teaching a cast on class

The variety and number of classes increases each year and this years offerings weren't disappointing. I took 3 classes and I'm always amazed when someone says that I don't need to take classes. There are lots of things that I still have to learn where knitting is concerned and at $5.00-$10.00 per class you can't go wrong.

I got some impromptu spinning lessons from Linda of the Rock Hill area knitting guild. She owns a shop in the area and I'll be traveling that way later in the spring for some hands on spinning lessons. She tested my wheel, a Majacraft Little Gem, and said that it is in excellent shape. I've had this wheel since 2004 and I am so looking forward to finally learning how to use it again. I was just starting to spin when I had my neck problems and eventual surgery and this is the first time I've had someone available to help me get started again.

I had a great time and of course mom was right there hanging out and having a good time herself. I think everyone would be shocked if I journeyed up there without her especially Fort Mill knitting buds Lou and Lori. I returned home exhausted and I'm already looking forward to next year.

3 comments:

Melodye said...

This sounds as if it is so much fun! I especially like that you can share it with your Mom. You will love spinning. Once you get past the beginning frustations it is meditative. And there's just somethingneat about making your own yarn. Dyeing is next!

kathy b said...

I LOVED this post. Very fun to see everyone having such a great knit time. THe blanket is amazing. The sweater is a huge success. So glad MOM gets to enjoy it all too and be the QUEEN of the event. They deserve it at their age!

Vera said...

I'm going to have to get to a Knit Inn one of these days.