Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Socks Again and Flowers

Yesterday was an unsually cool day. A perfect springtime day for wearing cotton or cotton blend socks. I didn't get to wear these but they are ready for the next time in a lovely spring/summer green.


Specs:

Pattern: Generic 3 x 3 Ribbed Socks
Yarn: ONLine Supersocke Summer Color
Needles: Knit Picks 1.5 6" dpns
Started: May 1, 2009 as Kai Mei repurposed on May 4 as 3 x 3 ribs
Finished: May 11, 2009

Today I put the squash and cucumbers in the ground. Some of the tomato plants are off to a good start and others will need a little more nuturing. We had some good rain the past week which helped out tremendously with the watering.

I spent time cleaning out some of the flower beds until I disturbed a very large ant pile. I was lucky and was bitten only once by a rogue ant that managed to crawl up my shirt and bite me by my bra strap. Tomorrow after giving them sufficient time to calm down I'll put down the ant killer. The one bad thing about living in the south is that you have to deal with the dreaded fire ants.

Gladiolas are some of my favorite flowers and they have been growing and spreading like wildfire. The calla lilies keep coming back bigger and prettier each year. I'll be cleaning out both of these beds and getting them ready for re-planting. The Asiatic lilies will also need to be dug up and re-planted to make the beds more pleasing.


The Lady Banks roses along the fence line need to be cut back and room made for the three new rose bushes mom purchased. The hibiscus on the deck both needed to be repotted.



I think this is the most yard work I've had to do in a while and it's all a labor of love. I can't wait for the finished results.

2 comments:

Acornbud said...

Great socks. Your flowers are beautiful!

Theresa said...

The socks are great, and I love the flower pictures. Watch out for those d@mn ants - I hate 'em!!