Sunday, May 31, 2009

From the Dye Pot

Last year I purchased several colors of Pro Chemical One Shot Dyes. Well 26 colors to be exact. I experimented a little last year, but this week I decided to bring the dye pot out again. I had accumulated several skeins of undyed sock yarn for this purpose namely Trekking XXL and some Henry's Attic Kona Superwash from Miss Babs. I was planning on using the Henry's Attic for a guild project but given the tough economic times I wasn't in the mood to be asking for a reimbursement or figuring out a charge for the cost of materials so I dyed 4 of the ten skeins.

I focused on solid/semisolid colors. Each skein was dyed a single color with the exception of the one skein which was an electric Wild Iris. This skein was overdyed by sprinkling the Deep Purple powder directly on the skein.



From left to right the colors are Pine Green, Autumn, Desert Rose, Raspberry, Key Lime and Cornflower using Trekking XXL Undyed. The remaining colors are Teal, Turkey Red, Gold and Wild Iris overdyed with Deep Purple using Henry's Attic Kona Superwash Fingering. The Cornflower blue is deeper than the picture depicts. It's closer to a Royal Blue and Raspberry is a gorgeous deep berry color. Overall I am very pleased with the results and the little color nuances that some of the skeins contain can only be appreciated in person.

I have a tendency to purchase variegated sock yarns and dyed these to add a few solids to the collection. There are several Cookie A patterns that I plan to knit and due to the heavily textured patterns they look best in solids or semisolids.

I'll be exploring this craft more this summer along with picking back up some former hobbies that have languished for a while. It's time to branch out a little once again. I'll still be knitting but in the process I'll take a little time out for something else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What fun and great colors! Hope to see what else you branch out into.